The Stephen Ministry is a confidential, lay-caring ministry grounded in Jesus' command to love one another. Those who are hurting receive love and support through one-to-one caring relationships. The ministry is named after Stephen, one of the first deacons in the early Christian church, commissioned by the apostles to care for the needs of people in the Christian community.
- Is life more than you can handle alone right now?
- Is your health, your attitude, or your relationships suffering?
- Are you adjusting to a new job, change in marital status, a serious illness, the death of a loved one, or a recent move?
- Would you like to have someone in your life that really cares?
Everyone goes through difficult times. Having someone to care, to listen, and to share God's love can help you get through the confusion, stress, or loneliness that you may be experiencing.
What are the needs with which Stephen Ministry can help?
How can I refer someone to Stephen Ministry?
- Identify someone who is hurting and in need of Christian care (you, a friend, or a relative).
- You, a friend, a relative, or a pastor contacts Stephen Ministry about this need.
- The Referral Coordinators will meet with this person to talk about Stephen Ministry.
- With their permission, the Referral Coordinators assign a Stephen Minister to meet on a weekly basis with the care receiver.
- The Stephen Minister provides distinctively Christian and strictly confidential care.
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister...
- Is a child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting.
- Is a caring, Christian friend who takes the time to really listen.
- Is a lay Christian selected, trained, and supervised by Stephen Leaders to provide effective Christian care.
- Makes a commitment including 50 hours of training, ongoing supervisory meetings, and an average of one 1-hour visit per week with the person receiving care.
- Recognizes this as a confidential ministry.
A Stephen Minister is NOT...
- A counselor or therapist
- A problem-solver
- A casual visitor
How can you become involved?
- Pray daily for Stephen Ministry
- Make referrals to Stephen Ministry
- Inquire about becoming a Stephen Minister
Stephen Ministers are Caregivers ... God is the CUREGIVER